Success: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose
-The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
-The attainment of popularity or profit.
-A person of thing that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity.
One word, seven letters, two syllables, and so incredibly powerful. Success is a word that each and every one of us have looked to achieve in one way or another, as it’s personal definitions are truly endless. It is not limited to a particular gender, race, or age. To be successful is one of the absolute most important things we can be in our lifetime. Success opens doors and helps us make connections, it inspires confidence and propels us forward, it breaks the boundaries between a pipe-dream and a reality. But success is also time consuming, and hard work, and sometimes even intimidating.
I often find myself looking to those that I believe to be successful for inspiration or motivation. For me, Mark Zuckerberg is one of those successful role models. Not just because of his financial status, but because of his gumption and tireless efforts which allowed him to achieve his dreams. I recently read an article that detailed 5 quotes by Mark Zuckerberg which focus on success. I found these quotes incredibly inspiring and hope that they may do the same for you.
- “Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff, you are not moving fast enough.”
What I take from this quote is that in order to achieve your goals you must constantly move forward and push limits. If you aren’t pushing the limits to the breaking point, you aren’t doing anything new – and if you aren’t doing anything new, you aren’t achieving those goals outside of your comfort zones.
- “My goal was never to just create a company. A lot of people misinterpret that, as if I don’t care about revenue or profit or any of those things. But what not being ‘just’ a company means to me is building something that actually makes a really big change in the world.”
I like this quote a lot. To me, this quote means that simply doing something for the profitability only gets you half way there…in order to really be successful you must set huge, and sometimes unrealistic-seeming goals which break the boundaries that are necessary to achieve change. Making money and making an impression are two very different things.
- “This is a perverse thing, personally, but I would rather be in the cycle where people are underestimating us. It gives us latitude to go out and make big bets and excite and amaze people.”
I live by this every day…people are always going to doubt you, especially in the CRE industry. It’s what you do with that doubt that makes all the difference. If you separate yourself from the negativity, and push forward to create great things, solidify deals, and prove an outcome, you’ll have much more clout in the long run.
- “I know it sounds corny, but I’d love to improve people’s lives, especially socially… Making the world more open is not an overnight thinking. It’s a 10-15 year thing.”
What I take from this quote is that things take time. We always want success to be an overnight happening; we want it here and now. But success doesn’t happen like that. We need to keep in mind that in order to achieve success we need to be patient and persistent. I believe that another component of this is that to be patient you, must 100% believe in what you are doing. If you don’t believe in what you are doing, no one else will either.
- “The biggest risk is not taking any risk…In a world that is changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.”
To me, this is the most important of the quotes. I honestly believe that you can be or achieve anything you want in life, but you MUST take risks. Risks aren’t easy, in fact, they can be downright scary, however, if you don’t take a risk you will never know what could have been. Risks are always worth it – either you were able to achieve success from the risk, or you were able to learn from the risk and therefore move closer to success.